Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Off the top of my head

I think with this post I might have set the record for the most consecutive days of inactivity one might have on one's blog-space! Lots and lots of things have changed since my last documented post, and there are too many things to say to give this article a coherent title.
Well, for the uninitiated (which I'm sure most of you must be of my whereabouts), I am in Paris, working, correction slogging (!!), on my second years of Masters studies (Economics and Finance, but more economics than finance). Writing is something that inherently has to have a source of inspiration, and for me its the 'vulnerable' points of my day-to-day life - when I am unexpectedly (pleasantly or unpleasantly) surprised, when I am inestimably frustrated, when I am deeply touched, when I am insanely bored etc etc..One funny thought - Remember Doogie Howser M.D. ? - Yes!, the lead actor of which is Barney Stinston of legen-wait for it-dary fame - Whenever I'm blogging, I have that image of him sitting in front of his classic, text-based, without-a-mouse (I think), Mac (I think again) computer, sincerely typing in his thoughts-of-the-day onto his e-diary, (sign of bigger things to come for me? :)). Anyway, it might be a good thing since it tends to focus my thoughts on to putting my previous thoughts in a thoughtful manner (wow..did you count the number of thoughts?). I have always wished we had an inner-monologue recorder, so that whatever all I say to myself in my head through the day with all the happenings around me, is duly recorded, sparing me the pain of having to recollect the happenings of the day (or in this case the past many days). Another funny thought..inner-monologue always springs up the image of J.D. of Scrubs fame, admittedly one of my favorite shows of all time (long live Scrubs!, even though I we see much less of Zach Braff on it now)
On to more serious issues now, I somehow always stop at the thought of an 'honest' blog..should I be putting down what I honestly think and reason out about things, people, animals, plants (the last two words just came out), without the 'risk' of being forced to rethink my opinions in the future..hmm..hmm..well that's one of the reasons I refrain from keeping a public diary, since it keeps you on a straight line, i.e. politically correct and diplomatic, and I don't normally like to be one of those kinds. Even so, I'll keep things as neutral as possible
I moved to Cite Universitaire from my originally place at the Polytechnique campus (those still in Paris or those who have stayed in Paris for any reasonable length of time will know about it). In short, it is a collection of student residences grouped by different nationalities (for the most part), even though that is nominal and students from any place can have any base provided lodging availability there is still not scarce (hey look..a rhyme!). People like to say and forever vouch that its a happening place, but I'm not been particularly impressed yet. Sure, one has to 'move one's butt', explore events, go to centers of socialization but here are the counterpoints.
One's butt needs to be well-oiled to move out often and mine's become slightly rusty with the huge amounts of reading and studying I have to do. Thus, my poor butt craves for an active butt, in other words a wingman/winggirl who's active in this place of rampant inactivity. On to events, well they mostly entail boring and overly-abstracted art exhibitions, overly-classical music concerts or superoverly-overestimated parties. For god sake, the somber music that I play at home is livelier, catchier and more dance-inducing. The tenders at most clubs don't care a damn about the guy/gal lunging at the counter, repeating himself over and over again for drinks that are at best shitty and way too overpriced. And did someone say centers of socialization, don't even get me started on them - There are bars, brasseries, cafes, well plenty of that, but you should see the faces of people out there (and I have noticed that on a consistent basis) - Its like the life has been drained out of them, stored in a cryogenic can, and buried somewhere beneath the permanent snow of the North Pole (the parts that have not been affected by global warming yet!)...it seems that hard to trace out. The point is why the cold attitude; isn't it freezing enough already (temperatures are touching -1 deg Celsius on an average here these days). Is it the daily grind? Is it the personal financial duress? Is it the fact that most places in Paris seem to be getting overcrowded by the day? I don't know, and I hope they don't 'don't care'. Maybe I should finally conduct a survey and ask Parisians 'Why so serious?' (In true Joker style) . I know Paris is considered laid-back (by my standards at least) but this is taking things a little too far. Anyway, I am your typical, friendly, neighbourhood Spid...no..eternal optimist (:)) and maybe Cite Universitaire has better things in store. And for the love of me, is there a pool table here, open to students, for the sake of some relaxed recreation..
Ohh ya..saw Avatar recently (I still cringe when I here the English pronunciation in trailers, it sounds unreal to say the least). I have to say that James Cameron has done a wonderful job at it; he's made the most out of a good concept. For a while, I swear I was transported to the alien world (wherever it is made out to be!)..One thing though, movie halls here are, on the whole, designed with such minimal comfort! It's like sit (no matter how uncomfortably), watch and then get the hell out of here!! The average PVR cinema in Delhi is much better with its reclining backrests, soft cushiony seats and ample leg-space. If you haven't watched '3 Idiots' yet, I implore you to please do so..it is worth the watch (though slightly over-the-top sometimes), with a message that for long needed to be presented in a watchable manner to the general audience. And yes, the I-Pad does seem to be faux pas to me too...Mr. Jobs we need a more exciting product from your innovative company..
I guess that's just about that I could skim from the top of my head..will keep posted with more interesting stuff, and I actually meant more of such interesting stuff (for those of you caught the pun)...Cheers!

PS : I will really appreciate it, and shower you with monetary gifts (:)), if you give your comments, suggestions, criticisms, abuses (ok, go easy on the last one)

1 comment:

taniyakawatra said...

Dude..that was some thick layered cream, coming just from the top of your head;). But for the most part I can say that the message conveyed can well related to even by me..sitting here in U.K with not a clue of the missing pool tables in Cite Universite :)
and as for the shape, structure and the contours that have developed on that poor butt..this is to say that..my butt agrees!;) with the courtesy of some decent music that the itune radio provides is probably as good as it gets with the herculean reading in store;)..Ah and this reader shall look forward for more such posts and for the deeper layers of the head to be digged;)