Friday, September 08, 2006

The information bottleneck

Recently (in my case recent can date back to 6 months) I had read something about people in general suffering from information overload. With the television at our constant disposal, the internet becoming the attendant that can be queried anytime and the world, in general, banging down on our doors....it is hell broke loose. In such a situation one can lose track of his personal bearings and everything happens at a breakneck pace. At the end of the day you are pretty much like a zombie going mechanically from one thing to another. At that time I fully understood the pertinence of the article and in retrospect, found myself just another victim. Thankfully or unthankfully that cannot be said of now. My typical day here consists of getting up late (man..the bed is so confortable), scrouging around for food in my room, taking a walk around the hostel, trying to clear the mental cobwebs by surfing the net, making glorious plans of exploring all the European tourist hotspots and some permutation of the above for the rest of the day. Hey, where did all the information inputs go to. If and when I pick up a newspaper here..half of my time goes in understanding what exactly is written instead of the actual news..its a vocabulary binge. Books are now a thing of the past for me as I haven't seen an english one for ages. E-books, that too shared by a friend, are the only things that come close to reading for leisure. Television...what's that now?? The only time I got a decent (relatively speaking) watch was during the French course in Nantes when they showed us a beefed up version of 'The Bold and the Beautiful' which went from scene to scene in mind-boggling plots. I have just the internet here in the common room but the speed, both the computer and internet, irritate me to the hilt. Part of the reason why I have started blogging!! Have I taken a detour from the information superhighway?? Seems like the dark ages with internet!!
So now.. the situation is that I am waiting eagerly for the semester to start so that the ol' factory rejuvenates and perhaps you all (victims of my mindless and uninformative blogs) will get some better stuff. WARNING : The above claim is subject to sudden change. I do not, in any way, take responsibility of any hidden hopes of better-things-to-come being rekindled.

No comments: